Monday, September 23, 2013

Why we are really here.

I was torn about what to write, after all the action never stops.  I have so many ideas of how to present this wonderful country.  Life is so different now in Tokyo for us than the other two times we have lived here.  The first time as missionaries, we were so busy and had little resources.  It wasn't our job to be tourists and discover this area, it was all about the work.  When Scott and I came back 28 years ago, we  had one little daughter and were expecting another.  We just didn't have the resources at all to wander and have fun.

I have been going to many places since moving here 6 weeks ago and I will share pictures of one we visited yesterday, but in part it is my job now to discover Japan---for my daughter's sake.  It is such a thrill to show her places I have been, places I haven't been and teach her things I already know--how to navigate the train system here, how to write in Japanese.  But before I do that, let me tell you why we are here.

We are here to represent the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  My husband has the greater part of that and he is so busy and happy.  He has stepped up his Japanese and tries so hard to teach hours upon hours in a foreign language.  He studies, he prepares and he goes.  I am so proud of him.  I get to travel with him a lot and I try as well to say what I can in Japanese and turn to a translator when my language isn't enough.  I am so grateful to be here.  I love the people, I love my neighbors, I love my family.

I have been trying to reconnect with people I knew long ago.  In some cases it is going to be harder than others.  Here is a lucky and happy reconnection.  Maybe soon I will get to see his parents.


This is Elder Matsuhashi, serving in Sapporo.  My husband got to meet him last weekend and what a thrill!  I met his mom when I was a missionary up in Nagano 30 years ago and my companion and I taught her the gospel.  She joined the church, went on a mission herself and it was my blessing to be in Tokyo when she married in the Tokyo temple.  Twenty six years later...this.  Does it get happier?  

Scott got to meet a man he taught that long ago as well.  We love his family, his darling wife and daughters and we get to see them regularly.  His name is Brother Tomioka and he has been a bishop (sorry, no photo).


See the man in the middle?  He is the Tokyo South mission president.  I knew him when he was sixteen years old, again when I was a missionary.  I didn't find him, but got the chance over and over for 5 months to teach him and his family. We love him and his dear wife and the people who flank him.  His boys have welcomed Emma and made her their best friends. I never would have guessed all those years ago that I would be back under these circumstances and be near those people I loved so long ago.  I am still trying to find so many whom I love.  Wish me luck.

That being said, here are some photos of our trip to Nikko yesterday with the Ringwoods.  They are the best neighbors and their son Spencer has also been so kind to Emma.  I can't ask for better friends, Japanese and American, although I know I have them in Hawaii and Utah and all over, for that matter.


This is Nikko, a place to honor Tokugawa Ieyasu, he is entombed here.  There are structures here built in 600 AD!  There was major refurbishing going on, but you get the idea--fabulous!  There was a carving--Nemuri Neko which is a national treasure--it was so small, story later.  For heaven's sake, isn't the whole complex a national treasure?!  

            See the carving of the elephant?  The carver had never seen one, made it from a description.
                                     Original hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil monkeys.

This oni represents the "alpha" part of the alpha and omega oni guarding the shrine/temple.  The structures were both Shinto and Buddhist.

A day out isn't complete without some yakisoba for lunch with the Ringwoods.  Great little restaurant, left our message on the wall.




Our darling neighbors, the Ringwoods.  Sooooo...life is good.  Full of fun, family, friends and faith.  That is why we are here.










No comments:

Post a Comment